Monday, September 14, 2009

From Our Reading...

I felt like there was so much richness in this morning's readings!! From the warnings to have more faith and to listen to the men of God in 2 Kings, to the warnings for backsliders and the encouragement for those who love God in Jeremiah...and then to 1 Corinthians!



I know I posted something about chapter 13 a couple months back, but we read three chapters this morning, and several other things stood out...



From chapter 12:

vs. 4-6 "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in men."

vs. 22-26 "...those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor...But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it...If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it."

Some of us are weaker, or may not have as obvious of gifts. But GOD has combined us together to work for His glory! He made the body of Christ to honor and glorify Him! The same Spirit is working in each of us...so let's listen to Him!



From chapter 13:

vs. 2,3 "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames but have not love, I gain nothing."

If we use our gifts that God gave us without love, they mean nothing. If we don't use our gifts with love, we give God no glory. NONE. If we 'sacrifice' for others without love, it means NOTHING. Does that scare anyone else?? If we go about life without love, we are not obeying what God commands. Well, what is love? Well, read the rest of the chapter :) It so easy to trick ourselves into thinking what we're doing is right yet do it without love! Especially in this chapter, the phrases "love is kind" and love "keeps no record of wrongs" stick out to me. How do YOU want to be loved? Told that you're loved and then have something held over your head? I don't!



From chapter 14:

vs. 12 "...Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church."

I was really convicted by this, because I am not as eager to have spiritual gifts as I should be. Yes, I want God's blessings and temporal things (like a job...) but how much do I crave spiritual gifts? How much do I desire to build up the church? Do I desire gifts for the right reason? Do I strive to bring glory to God in everything I do? Definitely not as much as I should...

The Bible is starting to become so ALIVE to me!! So many things speak DIRECTLY to me! And even 'just' the encouragement from 1 Corinthians 13 about how God loves me...AMAZING love indeed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment