Friday, August 28, 2009

Bits from The Problem of Pain

I've been reading The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, and I wanted to share a few things with you from that:


Confession:
As we've been hearing, we must confess our sin. But when we confess, we tend to detach ourselves from the sin. I know I do: "Ok, now I've confessed, and everybody knows, and everybody's forgiven me--and guess what, a lot of other people have been doing it too! So now, as long as I change, I'm all good." When we repent and confess, God covers our guilt, but we can't pretend that it never happened. We shouldn't dwell in guilt, but where we would have seen guilt, we can't see nothing. We have to see God's righteousness and his forgiveness.


The will:
Many of us are realizing that we have to give things up. Some of these things were sinful, but many of them were just things that were too distracting for us, or weren't in God's plan for us. I thought this quote was really applicable:
"In order to submit the will to God, we must have a will and that will must have objects. Christian renunciation does not mean stoic "Apathy," but a readiness to prefer God to inferior ends which are in themselves lawful. Hence the Perfect Man brought to Gethsemane a will, and a strong will, to escape suffering and death if such escape were compatible with the Father's will, combined with a perfect readiness for obedience if it were not."

 When we give things up we usually aren't going to stop desiring them; if we did, there would be no sacrifice. But we have to be willing to do God's will anyways. (By the way, this doesn't mean that we should feed these desires, even the lawful ones, if we know they aren't God's will--why would we just make it harder on ourselves?)


Goodness does not equal kindness:
Lewis observes that today's society tends to equate goodness with kindness, or mercy. Thus, almost any other sin is treated as ok (if not theoretically, at least practically). Lust, laziness, cheating, whatever, are fine--as long as they doesn't hurt anyone. This was an important insight for me because I've struggled with just that thought--"Well, it doesn't hurt anyone, so what's the big deal? I mean, of course a Christian shouldn't do it, but does it really matter for an unbeliever?" At least two things are wrong with this:

1. God's law is always right and true. We shouldn't condone any sin--even ones that aren't inherently cruel. God hates laziness just as much as he does cruelty; he hates hypocrisy as much as he does meanness. 

2. "...Plato rightly taught that virtue is one. You cannot be kind unless you have all the other virtues. If, being cowardly, conceited and slothful, you have never yet done a fellow creature great mischief, that is only because your neighbour's welfare has not yet happened to conflict with your safety, self-approval, or ease." 

We still may not be able to convince a non-Christian that these other things are just as evil as cruelty, but we at least don't have to approve of it--including indirectly. In a book by George MacDonald, a mysterious, old princess who represents God tells a boy who has seen her "'something not to do...If you should hear anyone speak about me, never to laugh or make fun of me.'
'Oh, ma'am!' exclaimed Curdie, shocked that she should think such a request needful. 
'Stop, stop,' she went on. 'People hereabout sometimes tell very odd and in fact ridiculous stories of an old woman who watches what is going on, and occasionally interferes. They mean me, though what they say is often great nonsense. Now what I want of you is not to laugh, or side with them in any way; because they will take that to mean you don't believe there is any such person a bit more than they do. Now that would not be the case -- would it Curdie?'"
I've been convicted that I have done this very thing--and it's even easier to do when it comes to sin. When classmates tell me how they cheated in some class last semester, I probably don't have to rebuke them, but I certainly should not laugh. 


(P.S. If you need something to read, these are both great books! The one by MacDonald is The Princess and Curdie, sequel to The Princess and the Goblin. I'm almost positive our church library has the Problem of Pain (with the other church books) as well as The Princess and the Goblin/Curdie (in the school YA section, last time I checked), and I have them as well. Just to warn you, both books have some things that we wouldn't agree with, so you have to read critically, but they are still chalk full of very helpful things as well!) :)

2 comments:

  1. "When we give things up we usually aren't going to stop desiring them; if we did, there would be no sacrifice. But we have to be willing to do God's will anyways."

    Thanks so much, Sophie! Exactly what I need to hear and remember...that's always so tough for me because I expect that poof! God's will will be mine...and then when it's still not, I rationalize acting in my own will rather than submitting to His.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie, I'm loving CS Lewis too!

    ReplyDelete