Thursday, August 27, 2009

The pointing finger

Hi gals,

This morning in our reading I was struck by the verse in Isaiah 58 "If you do away with...the pointing finger...THEN your light will rise in the darkness" (vs 9,10). Then on the way to work, I heard Romans 2:1-4 "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" And it all came together.

As you all know, revival has been going on in our church for some time now. And I hope and pray that we have all been a part of it. However, I have to confess that I have fallen into the habit of "Quenching the Spirit"--even mentally it is a dangerous thing. There have been many people who have had radical change in their lives, and yet I find myself thinking, "This will never last. I know they will fall back into their old habits." Or worse, when they bring a good word or a good example, thinking "Who are they to tell me what to do or how to live? Just (insert amount of time) ago they were living a much worse life than me. What can they have to offer?"

Girls, I know that we all tend to fall into this mentality. Women are especially vindictive and judgmental. But what does God's word say..."you who pass judgment do the SAME things." Who are we to say whether or not someone has changed? Is it not possible that we are just jealous of the change in their life, and we feel upset that they are actually doing BETTER than we are spiritually? Rather than judging them, we should look and rejoice in what God is doing in their lives. I was thinking about the adulterous woman this morning. What worse sin can there be than to commit adultery...And yet, what did Jesus do? He told her, "neither do I condemn you." Who are we to cast that first stone? Are we guiltless? Have we lived such holy lives that we are able to spiritually discern whether others have come to know Christ for the first time or anew?

When I think about Isaiah I get an image in my mind...standing there and pointing..."saved, not saved, saved, not saved...true repentance, faking it." But for some reason, that finger is never pointed at me, examining and judging my OWN life. I pray that when it does, that I can say with confidence, "Saved!" But when I am so busy deciding about the salvation of others, I am too busy to look at my own life. When we have stopped "the pointing finger" and have looked at our own lives, have accepted God's gracious and MIGHTY work in our church, THEN, then and only then can we have our light shine powerfully in the darkness. God is not calling for us to judge others in this time of revival. Yes, we must be wise and we must be aware that Satan is actively at work. Yes, there are those whose revival is fake...But I know that I err on the side of being over-judgmental, of being to certain that everyone else has a fake revival. Yes, be on guard! Stand firm in the faith! Do not be naiive. But give people the benefit of the doubt. If they are wolves in sheep's clothing, it will become apparent. But you cannot learn how to be holy in your own life if you are shining the light of God's grace in everyone's life but your own.

I know that there is much more complexity to this whole situation than first appears. But, let's believe that God is a great God, that He can save and radically change those who were only a month or two ago living in great sin. He is God! He is mighty! He is great! And He is so far above us that we cannot doubt His work. Do not doubt His grace...or "show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience." Let's take MORE time to examine our own lives. I know that I don't want others pointing their fingers at me and saying "she will never last." I want encouragement and support and prayer that my life will continue to change so I can serve God more.

And one last thing ladies. Let us not think that we can pretend and cover this feeling. I know we ALL know when someone is covering up true feelings...if in our heart we are judgmental people, it WILL come across in our actions. And we will not escape God's judgment!

I hope that this is a reminder for us all. I know that some of you truly do have gracious hearts that are so faithful to build others up. And I praise God for you! I know that I personally need to work on having faith that God can change even the worst person! I hope this is an encouragement to live more faithfully before God. Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment