Sunday, August 9, 2009

Surrender

I want to tell you guys a little story. There's not much detail, but I hope you can understand what I'm saying.

I was having my devotions one morning ago and I felt like God was really speaking to me to get rid of idols. I prayed He would show me specific things, because I didn't feel like I had anything huge (materially or physically) that I could give up. God pointed out a box to me that I had in my closet. The box was full of things that on their own were not sinful, but symbolized my idolatry. It was pretty difficult, but I went through the contents of the box and threw everything away.

Nice story, right? Not done. The next morning, God brought to mind something I had recieved as a gift that I needed to give up. "No, God. THAT'S not that big a deal. I don't even think about that very much. It's not important. Plus look, God. It's in its own box. It's hidden from view...out of sight, out of mind." "Jenna, throw it away." "Wait, hold on, God. It's so important to me! I CAN'T give that up! I'll give anything else up! Plus it cost a lot of money. That's wasteful. That's not good stewardship. And it has so much sentimental value. Please don't make me throw that away, God!!"

God brought the following things to mind:
*In Old Testament times, many people hid idols--even think of Jacob's wife Rachel, who tried to hide idols from God, her husband, and her father. Think of how severely God punished those people! He even opened up the earth and swallowed one person and his family! God does NOT tolerate idolatry!

*If it means so much to me that I don't want to give it up, it is an idol.

*If it is in a box, it is no less hidden from God. He is a jealous God, and idolatry sickens Him.

*If I try to pretend it is not important, why can I not give it up?

*If I try to rationalize it, it is probably an idol.

*If I try to hide it, it is probably an idol.

*If I want to keep even 'only' that, it is probably an idol.

Guess what ladies? God gave me grace to throw that item away, and He kept showing me more and I kept throwing them away. God can give you grace to throw out the idols in your life, and He can give you the grace to truly surrender. We learned today in adult Sunday school that the power of grace is greater than the power of sin!

He is mighty to save, our God is MIGHTY to save!
He rose and conquered the grave!

Praise God!

P.S. I'm still learning to surrender. Daily process, daily struggle.

Love you ladies! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment