Friday, August 14, 2009

Quiet Yourself

I don't know how many of you have ever experienced this, but this morning, from the moment I woke up until I left the house, my mind was in turmoil. I sat down and tried to pray and do devotions, but every couple of seconds my mind would wander off...I have been having some issues with a work project. And as I sat and was distracted and could not focus, I realized how important it had become for me to have time with God...and how important it is to quiet our minds before him.
I know, girls, that I struggle with quietness. And I'm sure that many of you also struggle with it...shutting my mouth and just listening can be the hardest thing for me. But this morning, as I was struggling to calm my mind, it really struck me how important it is to LISTEN to God. And so, instead of praying and asking God for things, just take a little time to worship him and to let him speak to you. God already knows our hearts and our needs...but if all we ever do is talk to him, we never give him the chance to speak to us. And how can we know someone who we never let tell us about Himself?
My challenge to myself this week is to take time to listen to God, and I have faith that he will speak to me!

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! sometimes my mind is whirring during my whole Bible reading, so that I can hardly remember what I am reading. constantly planning the next step, worrying about trivial things, and no quietness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I totally see myself in this situation too. I've been asking myself why I seem to only hear myself when I'm supposed to be hearing from God through his word. Thanks for the encouragement...it does take faith to believe we'll hear from God

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops...I sit here reading this when I should be focusing on devotions.
    I need to be quiet and focused on Him! Thanks Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely struggle with this too!!! (Shocking, I know =) Thanks for honesty Laura!

    ReplyDelete