Monday, August 17, 2009

From Our Reading...

This morning in Isaiah 45:9...

"Does the clay say to the potter, 'what are you making?'"

So right before this, there is a woe to those who quarrel with God. But I wanted to apply it to me. I realized there are several ways that I wrongly ask this question. It sometimes is in the form of an argument with God--"God, why are you making me like this? I wanted to be THIS. I wanted things to turn out this way." It would be as if the clay spoke to the potter saying, "A brown vase, really? I wanted to be a blue teacup. I think I would be much better suited for something delicate, pretty, and attention-grabbing. Brown vases are just functional and boring. No one looks at them or compliments them, and they don't have any fun. You're obviously doing this wrong!"

Or what if the clay is constantly questioning the potter? "What are you doing NOW? Are you done yet? What's next? What detail are you going to carve right there? Are you sure you wanted to make that cut?" Constant questioning of God's plan and God's will is mistrust in God. I need to be quiet and do what He commands and trust that He has a plan for me that He will work out for my good. Instead of always trying to see what is around the next corner, I need to focus on God's will for me now. Glorify God in the mundane!

My other thought on this is how the clay could be asking the potter about other pieces of pottery. "What about that lump? What are you making it into? I only see a lump of clay, I don't think it can be made into anything beautiful. Or that cup. It's starting to come together, but I don't see it ever changing anymore. I think it'll just have to stay undone." Do you ever question God's work in others? Especially during this revival, when we are hearing the encouragement to not quench the Spirit's fire. Don't stop someone else from being moldable for Him! Encourage them in their walk! Be excited at the change in someone else! This is really difficult for me, but we are called to trust Him, not people.

Is there a right way to question our Maker? I think so. We are to "work out (our) salvation with fear and trembling"(Philippians 2:12). We are to ask Him which way He wants us to go. God, how can I be more humble and moldable for Your purposes? Please give me that humility and help me to be totally bendable according to Your will. Show me Your purpose for me today, and help me to live in a way that pleases You. I don't know exactly what You have for me, but I am trusting You that You will fulfill your good plan in accordance with Your will."

And lastly, a verse we all know but a good friend shared with me at church yesterday:

" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" (Jeremiah 29:11)

Let's start our week out trusting God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment