Monday, August 3, 2009

Friends

I think in general we've heard some things about friendships lately. For me, it's been "Jenna, you haven't been honest with your friends. You've put on a mask and therefore they aren't real friendships." First of all...wow. That's hard to hear.
A few weeks ago my dad was talking to me about emotions and said "Jenna, you don't even know what true love is. Read 1 Cor 13. That is real love." WOW. That was hard to hear too. So as those are kinda related, and we are to love each other in Christ, I thought I'd share some thoughts about the two subjects...

First, on friends:
Proverbs 12:26A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Am I cautious in friendship? Cautious to not promote sin, gossip, inappropriate joking, myself throughout the whole conversation? When choosing who to spend time with, am I picking people who will build me up or who will let me get away with things?

Proverbs 17:9He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

We are not perfect. We are going to sin. Our friends are going to sin. But if we cover over the offense (even if they don't ask forgiveness!!) we promote LOVE and keep away bitterness. And then, from our standpoint, we are not to repeatedly offend our friends. Ask forgiveness, then change!

2 Corinthians 7:1Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God

I really liked Rachel's article on modesty. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of those articles I read and say "Yes! That's me right there! I love that article because now I feel good about myself!" Instead, I see how even clothing has made me not pure--and my desire hasn't been for holiness and I haven't had reverence for God. But that's only one example--so much to purge!

James 4:4You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

It's easy to classify "friendship with the world" as a couple things--an excuse of 'witnessing' to them, a necessary thing...or even to see it only as obviously worldly friends; the ones that get drunk twice a week, sleep around, call themselves atheists, etc. But something that stands out to me in this verse is that it's friendship not with worldly people but with the world--that means anything worldly. Do I spend more time reading about celebrities than I do reading my Bible? That is friendship with the world. Do I look more forward to going out to eat than I do going to church? Those things are not bad in and of themselves (necessarily). But when I put anything worldly in the place of God, it is idolatry and sin, and it makes me an ENEMY of God! My other thought on this is it's so easy to see worldly friendships as just being those who call themselves nonChristians. Then again, there are nonChristians in the church--and I say that being one of those who lived hypocritically for so long! Do we seek out those who share interests of God, or worldly interests? Do we pick 'Christian' friends that let us get away with things, don't confront us, and maybe even support our sin? That, too, is friendship with the world.

2 Peter 3:17Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.

I like in this verse, first of all, that Peter calls those he is talking to "dear friends". He has love for the people he is warning and rebuking! In this verse though, my question would be, am I on my guard? It is so easy for me to be proud and think I am strong--I had a good devotions today, yes! I must be doing so well spiritually!--and then the next minute, I am shown how weak and pitiful I am. We are only secure when we trust in Him and find our strength in Him. Yet, I know for me, it is so easy to seek out those who will let me sin, or lead me into sin. I want to be led--but I have not led Christ do the leading. I want to be passive--or, it's more like, I want to sin. I want to be independent--but I need to depend on Christ. But Peter makes it clear there are those "lawless men" who will carry us away if we are not careful.

1 Corinthians 15:33Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

I tend to think I am impervious to this--if I recognize who the bad company is, I must be safe from its corruption! But this verse reminds us that we are easily misled. The more time we spend with bad company, the more they corrupt us. So does that mean hole up and enjoy our Christianity by ourselves, never venturing out? No! But practically...are you witnessing to your friends when you are together? No? (first of all, God please change that to a yes in me!) But why do we think we "need" to stay at nonChristian friends' houses till 2 am? Better question, why do we want to? Do we think we are not affected by the sin around us? Do your friends drink and party? It's easy to say "yes, but I have only gone to one party and would never drink as much as them. I only have one drink." Then two months later, after spending time with them, "well, ok I drank more than I meant to but I still only party on weekends and I never drive if I've had too much". How about friends who are loose sexually? "Well I would never..." and then you continue spending a lot of time with them. Do not be misled!! The Bible does not warn us for no reason! How about "Christian" friends? The girl who spends $500 a week on clothes and does not tithe--how easy to fall into the trap of wanting to live a life focused around money without Christ as Lord of that! To make money our lord in that way? How about the "Christian" who is constantly complaining about authority, never has real devotions, tries to control everything...wait! That was me! I want to live a new lifestyle, looking for new friends who will challenge me, be open and honest with me, love God with me, and put God first! Do you?

Love post to come :)

1 comment:

  1. jenna,
    this was such frank and sincere post! I really appreciate it, because I have had or continue to have all of these sentiments at some point.

    I am at a point of life where I am setting up my social circle from scratch. These are the scriptures that I need to keep in mind, thanks! I need to cherish the Christian friends from home, seek out new Christian fellowship here, and carefully present myself with Christian integrity to my new classmates/interns/professionals at Tufts. Keep me accountable to this!

    thanks for the post jenna. : )


    haha...can't wait for the love post!! : )

    ReplyDelete