Friday, August 14, 2009

A Bold Start, and A Face Wash

I'm reading Shadow of the Almighty, a biography written by Elizabeth Elliot about her missionary husband Jim Elliot. I'm sure many of you have read it before. Just starting chapter 3, and already there's so many inspiring things.


In a note Jim wrote to his sister Jane, 1941: Begin each day with private reading of the Word and prayer. Bunyan has said well, "Sin will keep you from this Book, or this Book will keep you from sin." From the very first, as you begin [high school] give out gospel tracts to those you meet. Make a bold start-it's easier this way, rather than trying to begin halfway through. Memorize scripture in the streetcar. Buy up the time! It's costly because it's so fleeting.

About his morning Bible reading and prayer Jim wrote:
None of it gets to be old stuff. For it is Christ in print, the Living Word. We wouldn't think of rising in the morning without a face wash, but we often neglect that purgative cleansing of the Word of the Lord. It wakes us up to responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. I keep hearing that quote about sin keeping us from the Book or the Book keeping us from sin...
    It's easy to think well but I'm still sinning, even though I read devotions this morning...
    Easy solution is to be even further immersed in the Word :)
    I think I tend to doubt and not believe that God is really powerful enough to keep us from sinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good word about a bold start! It's so true! This semester I want to make a bold start, and as for those I've already made a weak start with, well, it may be harder, but not hopeless.

    ReplyDelete