Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Talking versus Praying

Have you ever noticed (I know I have, that's why I'm asking) that your voice changes when you pray out loud? It doesn't happen when you pray alone or silently, but in a group or a prayer meeting, WOW people can hear that seriousness in your voice! All of a sudden you're using "God talk", remembering verses, phew!
Or are you sitting here thinking, "Oh that's not me. I totally know the kind of people you're talking about though. Those self righteous people."

Ok I want to challenge you on a couple things:

*First, for those of you who know the kind of people I'm talking about: Stop it! Who are we to judge the heart of another person praying? Who's to say what their motive is? We are being self righteous when we think that not praying eloquently means we are somehow more spiritual. God does not want us to pray in a dead way. We are speaking to Him!

*Second, let's all consider our motives when praying out loud. Are we talking just to hear ourselves talk? Or are we really coming in reverence and delighting to speak to our Lord and Savior? Have you ever thought about not praying in a prayer meeting? I know to some of you, this may sound like an excuse to not pray. But I mean it more for those people who pray once, twice, three times in a meeting. If our motives for praying are to appear more righteous to someone else, or to sound good, then we are just Pharisees. If God is putting it on your heart to pray three times, then pray three times! But I think there is also a place for humbly listening to what others are talking to Him about.

*Third, we can talk when we pray. What do I mean by that? Well, something I was thinking about lately is that I don't sound eloquent when I pray. I sometimes have a hard time putting words together, and I sometimes use the wrong word. Sometimes I even insert a 'like' in there! You know what, though, girls? It is not about the words we use. It is about a heart attitude. And that's not saying that the worse we talk, the more holy we must be. But don't be jealous of those who can pray so eloquently! Instead, be encouraged! Come to God with a holy reverence and speak to Him what is on your heart--bring to Him your fears and doubts and praise and questions and everything else. First of all, He already knows it! But a real relationship is just that--real and genuine. Imagine if all your friends came talking to you with British accents and speaking in Victorian language because they thought it would impress you. Would it?

*Lastly, a verse from this morning's reading:

(Mark 1:35) "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where He prayed"

Things that struck me about this: VERY EARLY, He was by Himself, He left the distractions and even His closest friends to go commune with God.

Do I have the same kind of communion with God? Am I seeking Him on my own? With the very best of me? What is my personal prayer life like? Or am I just willing to pray in front of others and get their praise?


P.S. Girls, I hope you know I write these posts because they are things I struggle with. I don't mean to preach sermons or give you the impression I have it all figured out. I don't. Even with praying in groups, I go to all extremes--judging people for talking too long, for being too eloquent, for not being eloquent enough, praying just to hear myself talk, trying to find big words and remember verses so I'll sound more holy...all of the above. So these posts are just thoughts :)

2 comments:

  1. thanks! love your thoughts because they are my thoughts too. I am also bad at praying out loud. I try to think of my main point before I pray, and I always end up twisted and off track when I start speaking. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...I like the silences as a group of fellow believers can all get together and wordlessly express their thoughts, thanks, and tribulations to God. In fact, that's what I thought prayer meetings were for before I came here :P
    Both kinds have advantages though...

    ReplyDelete